Orlando Math Circle (OMC) seeks undergraduate or graduate students every semester (Spring, Summer & Fall) for part-time internships in various areas, including: community relations, administrative support, social media marketing, information technology, volunteer management, teaching, policy work, etc. All student interns will be required to work a minimum of 10-15 hours per week and work directly with the Executive and Program Coordinators on:
- developing/writing marketing materials and web content,
- developing and building information databases
- researching, curating and planning mathematics education content,
- researching critical issues in mathematics education that are relevant to improving present imbalances of access, participation, and power in mathematics
- maintaining local and national math contest results on the OMC website
- teaching math circle sessions (training will be provided)
- service and program development
- fundraising and assisting in event planning.
Students should be interested in:
- leadership development
- mathematics as a subject or as social issues of inequitable access, participation and power present in mathematics
- creative development of awareness campaigns
- creative math content development using a multidisciplinary approach and incorporating arts, music, movement, sports in teaching and learning mathematics
- political communications/journalism.
Interns will be required to work most of the time from the office. Schedule will be flexible to accommodate course work.
- Students should possess excellent writing and communication skills, be self-starters and be able to work independently.
- Students should be able to manage time well and meet deadlines.
- Command of English is required and knowledge of Spanish is preferred, but not required.
Interested candidates should send:
Writing sample is optional
Please send information to Zhanna Shkolnik, OMC Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The internship is unpaid but the intern has the opportunity to make valuable connections within the mathematics education arena and finish the internship with a portfolio of marketable experiences.
Application deadline for Summer 2017: Rolling admission
Application deadline for Fall 2017: August 12th, 2017
Application Deadline for Spring 2018: January 6, 2016